Monday, July 18, 2005

i don't really have anything epic to post. we didn't really do all that much this weekend, which is kinda sad, i guess? what may be sadder is that sometimes i think i sorta prefer it that way.

it's funny when to an outside person it looks like you've gotten nothing done, but you personally feel like you've been productive. this weekend we didn't really even see anybody or be social at all, but i got a lot of good little things done at home, mostly on my computers.

i've found that it's tough to claim that you're organized in both real life and in your "digital life." soon as i get things cleaned up and organized in real life, i realize my home network and tasks and shit are all in disarray. so sometimes it's actually nice to focus more on that instead. don't have to paint the town red *every* weekend, hey?

alayna's usually giving me the ol' stinkeye cuz she's all "go vacuum that room" and i'm like "but i'm getting so much done!" and all she can see is me sitting on my ass looking back and forth between two monitors. can't say i really blame her, cuz i usually end up sitting in here for hours on end.

i'm been trying to figure out a better reminder/to do system, so i'm trying out backpack to see if it's a decent alternative. still pondering trashing winXP on my left-hand box and going back to linux, but things like PDA ActiveSync prevent me from doing so. oddly enough, my iPod shuffle doesn't wanna talk to my mac right now, so i had to quickly import my whole library to XP and try it on that machine, and for once it worked.

as much as i love working out with my shuffle (as it works *quite* well) i'm really disappointed in how fickle the goddamn thing is. we already had problems with alayna's, where it just wouldn't work with her machine any longer and i couldn't fix it for the life of me. it kinda acts like a little flash drive that wants to work sometimes, but then decides that it won't work on a particular machine for a week. we've got 5 working machines in here, most people only have 1, so what the hell do they do when their shuffle decides to crap out every now and then?

i've been a little too surf-happy lately, just spending a ton of time sitting at the PCs, not really sure why. i'm coming across new-to-me sites like technorati and del.icio.us, which are good time wasters. i'm still trying to figure out how i like taking in my RSS feeds, whether it's a standalone program or built-in to the web browser like safari. i messed around a bit with synergy, which allows you to use a keyboard/mouse on 2 PC's at once without a KVM, but lost interest when realized that it was tricky having custom mouse shortcuts set up for both computers, something i kinda rely on.

sometimes i get in these little moods where i'm just trying to oversimplify everything. i want everything in my digital life to work without me having to micromanage everything, yet in order to achieve this, i spend all my time anyway, heh.

i leave you with a penny arcade article i found rather amusing. ;)

--j

No comments: