Tuesday, March 28, 2006

screw convergence.

my senior year of college i bought a PDA cuz i thought it'd help for organization and taking notes or just messing around in class. well, it did. i bought a $100 SD wi-fi card for it, and it worked well throughout campus. if i was bored in class i could surf CNN or check/compose my email.

i put all my contacts on it. their cell numbers, email addresses, physical addresses, etc. for the better part of 2004 i used it a lot at work to look up contacts, surf offline (cached) webpages in boring meetings, keep track of personal/work tasks, schedule appointments.

fast forward a year and half later. i've run out of reasons to use my PDA. it's not even really outdated or anything, i just don't have much use for it. all my contacts are kept in my mac address book and synced out to my cell phone, so i don't need it for that. the wi-fi access at work is secure and needs extra software to work properly, software i don't have for the PDA. for a while at work i was using my PDA exclusively as my mp3 player. i got a 20gb HD mp3 player instead, and later a 30gb iPod to replace that. i was using it to play videos on flights for a while, but it was a giant pain in the ass to downsize videos to it. now my iPod could hold its own fine for a portable video player.

i'm not saying i'm tossing the thing in the trash or anything. i'm just saying that while a PDA is supposed to be capable of achieving a little bit of everything, i have separate devices that do the trick just fine. if i had to run out the house and entertain myself for 2 hours, i'd grab my SLVR, my nintendo DS and my iPod.

just a thought. back to a sunkist, GT4 and sampling music.

--j

No comments: